Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pendleton Color Boot Camp

Elin Pendleton

Elin Pendleton is a ball of energy. She hits the ground running the very first day of the workshop or Boot Camp as she calls it. And we quickly learned why she uses that term. She has a lot of information to give in just 5 short days. She encourages FUN but keeps everyone on task and working.

Her Color Boot Camp centers on warm and cool colors---where to put them (in light or shadow) and at what time of day or under what atmospheric conditions (mist, early morning, afternoon, evening, night, backlight).

Since I have painted the landscape for years I thought I had this pretty well figured out. I soon learned ----there is much more to learn!

My Mist painting (left) was a challenge but successful. To my pleasent surprise Elin posted it on her blog. Go to Daily Paintings at http://elinpendleton.blogspot.com/

Needless to say, I am sold on her approach to handling color.

2 comments:

Sharon Crute said...

This painting is a lovely step out of the box. As artists, we must continually keep learning and honing our skills. You make it look easy.

Mary said...

I am blown away by the beauty and the subtlety of this painting. It is the sort of piece that I would love to have in my home because I would never tire of looking at it, of contemplating the peace in its depths.

Needless to say, it is also the sort of painting I would love to create! I don't mean to imitate or copy--just to study as an inspiration for a different atmospheric piece of my own.