Friday, February 8, 2008

ST. Lucie River Demo Oil Painting

"St. Lucie River" 18"x24"
I recently posted images of this painting as it developed from my pencil sketch on paper. The various stages show how I usually work...remember, paintings never progress exactly the same way. Basically, I lay the clouds in first and then the sky color, completing that portion of the painting down to the horizon. Land masses are layed in next in value progression (lighter and greyer at the horizon-richer, bold color in foreground) from the horizon forward. Then the real fun begins with color and brush work to finish the painting.
While living in Ft. Pierce I spent many hours on the St. Lucie River. This was a commission I greatly enjoyed doing, bringing back lots of fond memories. And then the bonus for me was when J. and Marcie Gaines, who commissioned the work, previewed the painting and were thrilled saying, "Wow, it is beautiful! We love it!"
Another painting is underway. I have completed the pencil sketch and am painting a very small (to scale) color sketch for Bruce and Bridgette Abernethy to approve before I begin their large painting.

Check back with me. I hope to have the color sketch posted here in the next day or two.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jackie- I found your site while perusing Sharon Crutes' blog (she's amazing too).
I so love the way you treat the colors in your landscapes. A reminder of a nostalgic reminiscence that is so very beautiful.
I see your name on many a blog that are regular reads of mine and I can see why.
Lovely, inspiring work.
Your busy schedule re-inforces that perception.