Friday, August 29, 2008

Up, Up and Away


Up, Up and Away

Giving paintings a title is not always easy. I thought of several different titles for this painting before deciding on Summer Enchantment. Then when I looked at the painting after several days of not seeing it Up, Up and Away struck me as just right.

This format is a bit different for me, measuring 32"x16". I had stretched the canvas, painted on the under wash and stacked it on end to the side of my easel while finishing another painting. After seeing it standing there on end for several days the tall slender lines of the canvas begged for this composition. I tried to portray the huge, billowing clouds that hang over the expanse of sawgrass vanishing in the distance. Simple and Uncluttered. As I look at the painting I think maybe Hope would be an even better title.

No comments: