Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Collectors


 A commissioned painting is a challenge for me.  The collector has a particular image in  their head of what they want ... my job is to understand what that idea is and get it on the canvas.

Showing the finished painting to the collector is always stressful.  Did I interpret their thoughts right?  Is the mood of the painting what they want?  Did I execute the painting to their liking?   ... and the list goes on.

Catherine and Bill visited my studio/gallery yesterday to see their painting for the first time.  Much to my relief they loved it.  Those first few seconds are tense until a smile breaks out. 

This delightful young couple has looked at my work for several years - usually visiting my booth at the Santa Fe Spring Arts Festival in Gainesville.  At the festival last March they took the plunge and commissioned a painting.  The painting was successful to a large extent because they had given a great deal of thought to what they wanted and were able to explain it to me.

It is refreshing to meet young people with an interest in collecting original art work.  They understand what it takes to create the artwork and that it will last a lifetime.

By-the-way,  Catherine and Bill added a second painting to their collection that afternoon.


1 comment:

Lorna L. Effler said...

Fantastic! It is good to meet people who truly appreciate art & those who "collect with purpose". Jackie, of course you have two more "happy collectors" I wouldn't expect any less! :) Lorna~

L.L.Effler
www.revelationart.org