Monday, March 9, 2009

Busy Week - New Auction Painting

As the saying goes ... "March comes in like a lion".
Sunday, March 1 found me on the road to Wekiva Springs State Park in Apopka for a week long paint out. I arrived about noon and was painting by 12:30. As the afternoon wore on more and more artists pulled in and set up to work.
That evening Bill and Mary Sue Weinaug, new owners of the Wekiva Marina, hosted a wonderful dinner for us. This was billed as a fried catfish dinner. So we assumed it would be the traditional, newspaper on the tables, plastic utensils and paper cups. Not so! A huge party tent was set up, tables adorned with beautiful flowers, music was playing and the catered dinner was terrific!!!
This paint out has become a highlight of the year for all the artists. Yes, it is hard work...painting from sun up to after dark. But, after the work is done each evening, we gather to talk shop and catch up on family news.
I had to leave Thursday morning (7 AM) for Miami. I arrived at the Riviera Country Club in Coral Gables about 1PM to hang my work. There was just enough time to go back to my counsin's house to shower and change before returning at 5:30 for the artists dinner featuring Oysters Rockefeller, NY Strip Loin, Pan Seared Scottish Salmon, Roasted Dijon Herb Coated Loin of Pork, all kinds of desserts and beverages.
At 7 PM the doors to the gallery where the art was displayed were opened. All artists were in their place to great the guests and talk about their art. This is always a wonderful evening with everyone dressed in their finest, enjoying fine food and drink...and buying art!
I slept in Friday morning, but was on the road again about 1 PM headed for Ft. Pierce. I stayed that night with friends on their ranch, which is like being in a wildlife park. As we sat in rocking chairs on the front porch the deer began to appear out of the palmettos. Soon there was a herd of about 15 grazing in front of us. Then sandhill cranes flew in and of course, wild turkeys.
Friday morning found me at the Backus Museum in Ft. Pierce for the Backus Festival. I set up my easel and began to paint about 10 AM. As a Backus student, I had been invited to paint in the museum and talk to people about Bean -- which are two of my favorite things to do. The day went quickly and it was closing time before I knew it.
I arrived home Sunday afternoon with both my husband and puppy happy to see me. It had been a long, hard week, but I would do it again. And, probably will next year.

No comments: