Monday, March 23, 2009

Dudley Farm Plein Air Event Ends


Azaleas # 1 (12"x9")
This is the first painting (above) I created at the Dudley Farm Plein Air Event last week. You saw a picture of me painting it in the March 11 post. I was very pleased with the painting and was also pleased when it went home with a collector the first day.

Azalea #2 (7"x5")
The azaleas were so beautiful I was drawn to them. So, when the first painting sold so fast I, of course, had to paint another one. This is from a different angle at a different time of day than the first.

And then I had to go one step smaller. The azalea to the left is painted on a 5"x5", canvas wrapped format. I hold it in my hand while I paint all around the edges, which is quite a challenge and very entertaining to those watching.




You can see how the flowers and leaves wrap around the sides. It is really fun to paint this way but very messy.


I was asked how I get the brilliant pink color, so here is my secret:
Combine a touch of Cadmium yellow deep and Cadmium red light, add lots of turpentine to make a wash and brush this over your canvas. When you paint the flowers with Acra Red they really "pop". Let me know how this works for you.




4 comments:

Sharon Crute said...

The pink colors are vibrantly beautiful. I LOVE them.

Question: what is ACRA red?

Jacquelyn Modesitt Schindehette said...

Acra Red is technically named Quinacridone Red. A warm gransparent red so don't dilute it much with white or it will go dull.

Jacquelyn Modesitt Schindehette said...

Oops...Transparent, not Gransparent

Lallee said...

Jackie, this is Laura Hayes. I found your blog this morning and it was such fun seeing the beautiful paintings you are still creating. Your azaleas are just exquisite! I'll have to keep a watch for when you might be showing near Homosassa.