Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring Arts Festival

The SantaFe Spring Arts Festival was an adventure. Weather this time of year in Florida is always unpredictable and proved that fact again this weekend. Saturday was blustery and overcast. Even so, people turned out...to buy art! Those who attended were there for a purpose, carefully looking over the art, asking questions and walking out of my booth with a new painting. I also received a Purchase Award....Wow!

The forecast for Saturday night called for high winds and lots of rain. My husband Harry, an engineer, has an ingenious way to secure my tent from the inside that includes guy-wires and nails. We removed all the paintings and stored them in the van for the night. So, all was safe and I could sleep soundly without worry.

We arrived at the show Sunday morning to learn that 3 tents had been ruined by wind and rain. These were the "Show-Off" tents which have a reputation for not being very sturdy under adverse conditions. They have a tendency to accumulate water in the roof and then cave in. My tent was in perfect condition, so back came the paintings.

Sunday proved to be beautiful with lots of sun and a light breeze. The folks out that day were there to enjoy the great weather. Families came to stroll, eat festival food and look at art. Not much was sold, but that was ok because of the big sales on Saturday. I , for one, went home very happy.

Out door festivals are not for all artists. It is hard work and you never know what the weather will bring. But for me it is very rewarding...not only in sales but also in the interaction with the public. I like selling my work, one on one, getting to know the person who has selected a painting they love. I have developed friendships over the years with collectors and potential collectors. Always remember, everyone is a potential collector. And everyone is a potential friend!

1 comment:

Sharon Crute said...

Congrats on the sales Jackie! It gives hope to all of us that things are picking up and will return with a bang. Thanks for sharing.