Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Silver River Kayak Outing


Lars Andersen owns the Adventure Outpost in Highsprings and leads many paddling trips here in north Florida. I have received his emails outlining the trips and have wanted to go, but have always had conflicts.

Tuesday, everything worked out and I was able to join the group of Master Naturalists who had come from the east coast of Florida to paddle with Lars on the Silver River. Wow! That is right in my own back yard! And just minutes from my house!

The morning was beautiful, just enough cloud cover to keep the temperature down. It was great to paddle along and listen to Lars call out the names of native plants - pickerelweed, spatter dock, cardinal flower, etc., etc., etc. I try to know the names of plants I include in my landscape paintings so it was a valuable lesson.

He is easy going and knowledgeable and infects the group with enthusiasm for paddling and Florida's natural wonders. If you want more information about his "wanna go" trips:

Adventure Outpost
18238 NW Hwy 441
High Springs, Fl 32643
386-454-0611
http://www.adventureoutpost.net/
riverguide2000@yahoo.com

No comments: