Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thornebrook Gallery Exhibition


Shangri-La 16"x20"

Shangri-La is the last painting I created for the Thornebrook Gallery Exhibition. Us plein air and landscape painters are always on the hunt for new locations and inspiration. I came upon this dream-like path early one afternoon. The graceful live oak trees covered in moss and azalea bushes in full bloom were irresistable.

The collection of 26 paintings was delivered this past Monday. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment to complete the work and deliver the paintings on time. And yes, relief when the project is put to bed.

The Artists Reception is this Friday evening and as always , is quite daunting. No matter how successful, artists are concerned with how the public will react to their work. I learned this early in my career while studying with the renowned A. E. "Bean" Backus. His work was highly respected and could be purchased only by placing your order in a waiting list, often waiting several years before getting the painting. And yet, with each order and each show, I saw him anguish over whether or not the collector would like the painting. My having been just a beginner at that time, not exhibiting my work, I was puzzled. Now I fully understand. You put your heart and soul into each painting making it difficult to separate yourself from it.

Oh well, I have done the work and am proud of the collection so I will go to the reception, pretend I am a princess for one evening and have a great time. I sure hope I will see you there!!!

5 comments:

Vonnie Kohn said...

Your work is beautiful...no need to anguish over opening night! and, btw, you can remain a "princess" longer than one day..:)

Sharon Crute said...

Darn right to proud, oh queen (not princess) of Florida landscape.

Does the anxiety ever end? I think not, especially if "Bean" remained that way far into his career.

Looking forward to attending the reception...you'll be awesome as usual.

Jacquelyn Modesitt Schindehette said...

Tonight is THE night!. Thanks Sharon and Vonnie, your kind remarks and encouragement will sustain me thoughtout the evening.

WARREN said...

Very nice. Looking forward to trying Plein Air with the Ocala group.

Jacquelyn Modesitt Schindehette said...

So glad to have you in the plein air group. Because of show obligations I can't always attend the paint outs, but have a great time with everyone when I do. I look forward to meeting you.