Friday, August 24, 2012

Private Commission -Finished!

The Private Commission I have been writing about is finished!  It is so satisfying to put down my brushes, step back and declare the painting to be complete.

I was almost finished but there was something not quite right but I couldn't figure it out, so I let the painting sit untouched for a few days and didn't even look at it.   Often, taking a break and "sleeping on it"  is the best approach for me.  Back in the studio this morning, all refreshed and ready to tackle the problems. . . refined an area, changed tree tops that were too big for their distance from the viewer, pushed back a clump of bushes and ADDED Birds.

The collector suggested several different birds, all of which are found in this terrain.  The photo is a close up of a Great Blue Heron in the fore ground, Wood stork in the middle ground and those white dots way back represent White Egrets.

The photo on the right shows White Egrets taking shelter among the marsh grass with one flying off looking for a better place to hide from the approaching storm.  Let me explain "white dots" representing egrets in the distance.  Because I have larger egrets in the foreground that are easily recognizable the viewer automatically understands the white dots are egrets.

My husband Harry is my best critique.  He gave the painting a thumbs up so I signed it and photographed it for my inventory books.  Now to unveil it for the collector.

My next private commission is 30" x 46" and will have lots of interesting elements.  Can't wait to get started.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing! I just found out how to subscribe to your blog so how I will go back and catch up.