Friday, August 17, 2012

Private Commission-Lay In

Ultramarine Blue Lay-In


In a previous post I explained my process for developing a painting with images of a study for a 24" x 36" private commission.  The study was approved by my client so I am proceeding with the final painting.

The above image is of my initial lay-in.  The drawing is done with a brush using Ultramarine Blue oil paint to establish the various elements in the composition that were worked out in the study. 

When I am satisfied with the lay-in I begin work on the sky.   I specialize in landscapes and prefer wide vistas so getting the sky "right" is crucial.  For me, Florida landscapes are mostly about the sky, setting the stage for what is happening on the ground.

I generally work from the top down to the horizon line on my first pass.  Then work all areas needing additional attention.  As the ground is developed I will continue to tweak the sky.

My next post will show how I get the ground elements off and running.  You are welcome to ask  questions in the comment frame.














No comments: