Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"NO" to School Taxes-So Sad

I, along with lots of others, voted yesterday in the Primary Election.  I won't name names but will say that I am happy this morning about some winners and sad about some.

One thing I am greatly disturbed about is "Voters say NO to two school taxes" (newspaper headline).

My children received a good, well-rounded public school education that included reading, writing and arithmetic in addition to art, music and a well stocked library.  The NO vote "means that the community does not support music, art and library programs" so "we will be eliminating those programs", Superintendent of Schools said.

This negative vote saddens me on two levels:  1.  I live in a community that enjoys the arts (Appleton Museum of Fine Art, Ocala Civic Theater, Marion Cultural Alliance, Fine Arts for Ocala, Etc.) but is not willing to pay to nurture the arts in our children.  2.  Many people in my community are not willing to contribute to the education of today's children seeing no benefit to them since their children are no longer in public schools.

Although my children were out of school years ago I continue to vote YES when asked to help the public schools.  Like the song says "Children are our future".  They deserve a well rounded education that opens many doors to careers not only as accountants, plumbers, or lawyers but also museum directors, concert musicians, actors or artists, to name a few.

The next time a "no voter" goes to a movie, attends a concert, sees an art exhibit, or enjoys a play I hope they will realize how dull the world would be without "The Arts".


No comments: