Saturday, June 14, 2008

April, May, June Events


Classic Florida - MacIntosh



The Heart of Florida Plein Air Paint Out was outstanding. I highly recommend this event as THE one to see. The quality of art produced during the event is some of the best plein air paintings out there...and to actually WATCH the artists create these master pieces is extraordinary. If you would like to know about the next one email me. My painting Classic Florida was done during the paint out.

The Elliot Museum exhibit was also first class. The OUT OF HAND ARTISTS SALON had been invited to exhibit as a group. The art ranged from my Florida landscapes painted in oil, to equine paintings by Sharon Crute and Moe Hahn, portraits by Merrill Andersen, and landscapes and still life paintings by Nancy Moskovitz and Mary Verrandeaux. If you did not get a chance to see this show let me know, when we have another group show I will send you the Where and When.

For those of you on the east side of Florida and those who might like to visit, the Elliot Museum is an extension of the Historical Society of Martin County. They have an extensive collection of items recording the history of the area. While there, take a few minutes and visit the House of Refuge Museum located right on the ocean. This is a great place to learn about some of Florida's history.
LeMoyne Museum of Art sponsors the "Chain of Parks Fine Art Festival". This is a wonderful show in a charming setting in the heart of Tallahassee. My husband went ahead of me on Friday to set things up because I had to attend the Heart of Florida reception Friday night. I was up very early Saturday morning and on my way, getting to the show before it opened at 9 AM. It was well worth the effort when I was presented with an Award of Merit at the artists dinner Saturday night. Wow! Winning an award sure is fun!
Wednesday, April 23 found me on the road again. This time I was headed for Ft. Pierce to participate in their first "Souvenirs of Downtown Plein Air Invitational Event". RL Davenport, owner of Brush Strokes Gallery & Framing, and Pam Gillette of Main Street Ft. Pierce, Inc. were Co-Chairs for the event. A portion of the sales went to benefit the Platts/Backus House Renovations and Main Street Fort Pierce, Inc. The weather was great and lots of people came out to see the artists at work and to purchase paintings.
So ends April. As you see this was an extremely busy month for me, but so much fun! Thank goodness things have quieted down as far as shows go.
The Florida Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs, offers many opportunities to artists from exhibits to workshops. Go on line (http://www.florida-arts.org/) and sign up for their notices. I applied for (by sending my portfolio) and was selected to participate in a workshop in Tequesta May 3. Yep, back in the car AGAIN. This was an all day workshop aimed at promoting our art work or "Doing the BUSINESS of your art". I made some great new friends and contacts in addition to learning lots.
May also found me in THE VILLAGES as the invited Judge for an art show there. All the art was well done making picking winners difficult. Congratulations to those who did win a ribbon and a hearty "pat on the back" for everyone who participated. It is hard to put your art out there for all to see, but exhibiting is a great chance for growth.
May brought a couple of graduations in my family. My older son, Chad, graduated from college with his Bachelors Degree in Business Management and his daughter, Damie (my only granddaughter) graduated from 4 Year Pre School, replete with cap and gown. Needless to say I am very proud of both of them.
My painting "Southern Skies" was juried into the Museum of Fine Art Bienniel in Deland. The Artists Reception was Friday, June 6. This is definitely a show to see. It fills two galleries, one downstairs and one upstairs. If you go, my painting hangs on the wall behind the reception desk in the downstairs gallery.

Well, that catches us up to the present. The summer is my major painting time to build my collection for the coming season starting in September. As I finish new paintings I will post some for you to preview.

No comments: