Monday, February 16, 2009

Appleton Museum of Art-Backus Preview


Jackie, Dr. & Mrs. John Lofgren

The Reception for the Director's Circle to preview the A.E. Backus Exhibition went very well. I worked all week on my presentation and managed to pare Bean's life down to about half an hour. I said everything I wanted to say about his life without getting into to much detail but still creating a picture of the outstanding man that he was.

I have been asked to share a copy of my talk with the Docents at the Museum so they will be better informed about Bean's life. So I plan to make that available to them. There is such interest in these personal stories about his studio I may add a blog site devoted just to that. I will let you know when I get that up and running. Or add a comment here with your request to be notified when I post it.

Bean influenced a great number of artists as well as non artists, challenging all he met to follow their own personal dreams and goals. He taught us to share what we have, whether that might be information or money; to accept people for who they are not what they have become; and not to judge anyone by the color of their skin but the works they do.

He was asked once how he would like to be remembered and he said:
"I would rather be remembered as a humanitarian than the greatest artist in the world".

No comments: