Sunday, February 22, 2009

Style and Painting Techniques of A.E. Backus


Jackie painting during the demonstration

My painting demonstration at the Appleton Museum of Art in Ocala, Florida, was great fun for me. We had a delightful group who was full of enthusiasm and questions.

The format of my demonstrations is always relaxed and informal. People may move chairs around, making sure no one else's view is blocked, stand, ask questions and make comments. This always generates a lively discussion and more interaction.

Backus was the focal point of the day, not only his painting techniques but the kind and gentle man himself. I was able to clear up two questions everyone asks, how he got the name Bean and his relationship with the group of painters now called the Highwaymen. Backus is a favorite topic of mine so the 3 hours went by fast...you just can't beat painting and talking about what is near and dear to your heart.

Koreen, Education Director at the Appleton, was a gracious host. The facility is wonderful with great lighting for painting in the classroom and beverages were provided.

If you are interested in having me speak about Backus or give a demonstration, please get in touch. I am always ready and willing to enlighten people about my teacher, friend and mentor, A.E. "Bean" Backus.

2 comments:

Sharon Crute said...

Sorry I missed your demo Jackie. I'm so glad it went well and you're getting to be quite the pro at giving presentations. The demo piece looks great from the photo.

Nancy Moskovitz, artist said...

I'm so glad I went. You were fantastic. Everyone enjoyed your demo spiced up with first hand stories. I blogged and linked to your post.