Friday, January 18, 2013

Backus and Me

Bean Backus and Jackie Schindehette (Circa 1988)

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute commissioned Bean to paint two large paintings for their hospital in Miami, Florida.   This is one of the paintings.  I was fortunate to have been working with Bean at the time and got to see him create these fabulous paintings.

I don't know about all artists, but I get a bit intimidated when facing a very large blank canvas.  Surprisingly, Bean also got a bit nervous contemplating these large paintings and procrastinated for some time.  Once he got started the magic flowed through his hand.

I photographed each stage as the paintings progressed but they are "old fashioned, hard copy" photographs.  Hopefully I can get them into digital form and post a few. 

1 comment:

WARREN said...

A fantastic painting!