Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Storm Painting Commission


For me, a painted study for large paintings is crucial.  Pencil sketches help me develop the composition after the subject of the painting is decided.  From these sketches one is chosen for the study that satisfies all the compositional criteria and "tells the story" I intend to communicate to the viewer.

After discussing, at length, what type of scene this client wants in his commissioned painting we decided on a dark, brooding sky filled with ominous clouds with stands of Sabal palms and sawgrass blowing in the wind.  He and I both lived in Miami, Fl and are familiar with the storms that blow across the Everglades, so this was a perfect fit for us both.

The study posted here is 9"x12", which is 1/4th the size of the final painting (36"x48").  The client has approved the study, the canvas is on my easel, and I am anxious to get started. 



No comments: