Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Personal Story with Beanie

 Albert Ernest "Bean" Backus
Photograph by Tom Baumker 

The "Tribute to Backus" Exhibit/Sale at the A.E. Backus Museum and Gallery in Ft. Pierce opens today.  So, I thought it appropriate to show a few of my personal photos...and memories... of this very special man. 

 The photo on the right was taken in his home-studio in Ft. Pierce, Florida.  Yep, that is me with Bean.  I remember the day well.  We both were painting all morning and sat down for a while to chat and listen to his jazz records, Bean's favorite kind of music.  Some times he would play the music as we painted, listening for a while, then dancing together occasionally.

My easel is behind Bean just over his left shoulder.
Just being in the studio was wonderful, but painting with Bean was magical.  I am grateful to have had this exceptional experience that progressed into a career and the gift of Bean's friendship that still warms my heart.

The top photograph of Bean was taken by highly respected photographer Tom Baumker.

1 comment:

WARREN said...

Great photo and story.