Friday, July 6, 2012

Developing a Painting - Start to Finish

"Something Timeless"  36"x40"  Oil on Canvas
Most of the time I produce paintings for the "normal" sized home -- 16"x20",  18"x24", 20"x24", 24"x30", etc.  So when I get a commission that is fairly large compared to my usual size choice I get a bit nervous.

That is what I am dealing with right now.  I recently delivered a 34"x28" commissioned painting to  clients.  They loved it an ordered a second painting - 30"x46".

I realize many artists paint mural sized paintings on a regular basis,  I just don't happen to be one of those artists.  Come with me on my journey to produce this painting as I share the experience here on my blog.  The process begins with stretching the canvas (no easy task), developing a composition (always a challenge), painting a "miniature sketch" for client approval and then tackling the painting itself.


No comments: