Monday, July 23, 2012

Oklawaha River Tour

Today was a first for me....my first air boat ride.  I know it is a bit odd for a native Floridian, but my only excuse is that I am a city girl - born and raised in the big metropolis of Miami.

I am delighted that friend and Gainesville artist Eleanor Blair  invited me to join her on a tour of the Oklawaha River guided by Forest Service Rangers Ray Willis and Bobby Grinstead.  Although leary of very fast air boats I figured I was in good hands with these professionals.

The day was perfect, enough cloud cover from time to time to make it tolerably cool and no one else on the water.  Didn't see much wild life, which was not a surprise with the loud fan motor on the boat propelling us around bends in the river.  Bobby did a good job of driving, cruising down the river and slowing at picture perfect spots.

I took at least a hundred photos and I am sure Eleanor took even more than that.  Who knows, maybe we'll have an exhibit of our paintings from this trip sometime in the future.

No comments: