Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Step # 2: Preparing for the Painting Study

Step #2  Preparing for the Painting Study   This photo shows the canvas prepared for the sketch (8"x12"), 1/3 the size of the final canvas (24"x36") so you can get an idea about sizes.  I applied a grey wash in acrylic to the study canvas because the scene is going to be a stormy day on the prairie. (The white rectangle in the lower left is my paper towel roll)

The wash color chosen depends on the scene and time of day or night I will be painting.  Example:  A beautiful, sunny clear mid afternoon could have a white or ultramarine wash.  Early morning could have a light pinkish color.  Early evening a golden color.  But sometimes I will use a contrasting color.  Remember there are no rules.

My pencil sketch and painting study are the same size as shown on the right.  If you are good at math you can reduce the sketch size to what will fit in your sketch pad.

I always draw the composition on the canvas with a brush using ultramarine blue.  You can see the hash marks around the edges that correspond with the hash marks on my pencil sketch.

Step #3  Executing the Painting Study
I will post photos of the study at various stages of development, so stay tuned.

If you have any questions just click "comments" and post.


No comments: