Saturday, July 21, 2012

Step 1: Developing a Painting

I have two commissions going at the same time,  one farther along than the other.  So, I thought some of you might like to see this one from start to finish.  Remember, this is how I work, the process being developed over about 20 years.  It may or may not work for you but will perhaps give you some pointers on developing your own way of working.

Step 1.  Get a clear idea about the content of the painting and the finished size.  If it is to be a painting for myself this is purely what I want to paint and the size I need.  If a commission,  I have in depth conversations with the client about the size and content: time of day, lighting, etc.  They look through catalogs of my paintings to help them formulate their ideas.  After a lot of conversation I develop a pencil sketch to show them my interpretation of their thoughts expressed to me. 

I have plein air painting field studies as well as photographs that I have taken to use as support material.  I never copy a photograph, but take elements from several to create the final composition.  The painting you are following here is being developed from a number of photos of Cedar Key.  They all were taken on a beautiful sunny day which presents another challenge....changing the sunny day into a dark, stormy afternoon that the client wants.

The pencil sketch is drawn to scale.  In this case the final painting will be 24" x 36" so,  my sketch is 8"x12" or 1/3 the size of the final painting.  Each 1" on the sketch equals 3" on the final painting.  Yes, I actually mark off each 1" and number them as you see here.  When I get to the large canvas every 3" is marked and numbered on the sides just like the sketch.  I do not draw graph lines.  I just "eyeball" an element  in relation to the numbers.

I am awaiting on the approval of this sketch.  When I get the approval to continue I will post the painted study as it progresses.

Go to my web site to see more of my work.

No comments: